Tri Cycle Farms is an urban farm located in the center of Fayetteville, whose mission is to grow community through soil as we steward food awareness, education and empowerment.
This internship will provide the opportunity to be involved in all aspects of a small neighborhood farmer’s market. The intern will work closely with Tri Cycle Farms’ staff to learn about each step of the market process.
The intern will:
- Assist with harvesting, cleaning, bundling, and pricing of market produce for the Tri Cycle Farms booth
- Work directly with other farmers to develop market relations
- Maintain metrics of market consumers and farmers’ sales (e.g. # of adults, children, and college students in attendance, average sales per booth, etc.)
- Train and assist consumers and marketers on the use of SNAP benefits.
- Increase market outreach and promotion in the immediate and surrounding neighborhoods and on the U of A campus
- Assist with physical setup and break down of the market tents and tables
- Assist with educational booths at the market
The ideal candidate will have an interest in farmers markets or markets in general, economics, or community building, and will enjoy working with people. This internship will be 10 hours per week from March to August, with at least 6 of those hours to be served on market day. The Crossroads Farmers Market is currently on Fridays from 3:00 – 7:00 p.m., with plans to expand to up to three days per week in the spring and summer. This is an unpaid internship, but interns
will reap the fruits of their labor through local, fresh produce and eggs.